Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 21, 2015

BLACK MILK - "I Guess"

I remember buying Black Milk's debut album "Sound Of The City Vol. 1" not long after its release, haven't really heard much from him but having fallen in love with the underground sound of Motown hip-hop. While I liked the album and his follow-ups "Popular Demand" and the "Broken Wax EP" I could definitely nod my head to it, but I still felt that Black Milk had neither found his own as an emcee or as a producer. Of course you couldn't deny that the kid had mad skills but I felt he had a long way to go.... That long way is a path he's truly been on for years, and with each project and outside production he has truly grown on both aspects to one of todays most interesting artists and a well worthy representative of the Detroit sound. Following his work with eLzhi on "The Preface" and "Tronic" I know he had found his own sound and was capable of multiple sounds; like every great producer he wasn't afraid to experiment at all. Then he hit with three slamming projects in a row (Random Axe, Danny Brown EP, and the absolutely excellent "No Poison, No Paradise"). These dope releases (along with masterpieces laced for Pharoahe Monch, GZA, and more), last year he released the free EP "Synth Or Soul" and the mindblowing "If There's A Hell Below"; the latter which more than any of his previous projects, truly showed fans he was now a very capable emcee in his own right as well. So when Black Milk now returns with a brand new single - the laid-back soul-funk of "I Guess" - Milk is right back where he left off last time. I'm not sure where this will end up, but what the hell - just TURN IT UP, bang your head and enjoy this crazy ish from Justin Cross! Spotted @ EgoTripLand.com so props to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment